Monday, March 15, 2010

Oatmeal Waffles

1 1/2 c. flour
1/2 c. quick oats
1 Tbsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. salt
2 eggs
1 1/2 c. milk
6 Tbsp. butter, melted
2 Tbsp. brown sugar

Mix together flour, oats, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. In another bowl, mix together eggs, milk, butter, and brown sugar. Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix together. Follow directions on your waffle maker to cook the batter.

Modifications: To make these even healthier, I substitute 1/2 c. whole wheat flour for some of the regular flour. I also substitute half of the butter for unsweetened applesauce. I've added ground flaxseed to these in the past as well.

*My mom gave me this recipe. I'm not sure where she got it from. I love these waffles with peanut butter (but then again, that's how I eat most waffles, pancakes, and french toast). My son Brayden loves these waffles with some strawberry preserves on them. I make a big batch and freeze them. They toast up nice for a quick, healthy breakfast (I microwave them for Brayden)




2 comments:

  1. Dareth - The kids and I made this today and they loved it. Each one took turns helping me mix and Adin is my master egg cracker. They had a ball making the waffles and I heard lots of yums while they were eating them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dareth,
    I made these yesterday while visiting my sister and my niece LOVED them. She kept saying, "Wah wah" for waffle. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete