Sunday, April 11, 2010

Rosemary Rolls

7 1/2 T olive oil
3-4 sprigs fresh rosemary

Heat these two ingredients together to a boil. Turn off heat. Cover and let sit for 15 minutes. Remove rosemary from the oil.

4 c. flour*
2 pkg dry yeast
2 T sugar
2 T chopped rosemary
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 1/4 c. warm water

Activate yeast in 1/2 c. warm water. Combine yeast mixture with flour, sugar, rosemary, and salt to make a dough. Add rest of water and oil. Form into a soft dough. Knead until smooth and elastic (at least 5 minutes). Pour into oiled bowl and cover loosely with oiled plastic. Leave in warm place for 1 hour.

Divide dough into 12 pieces and make balls. Place on 2 oiled baking sheets. Cover loosely and let double (15-30 minutes). If desired, glaze tops with beaten egg at this time. Bake 15-20 minutes at 400 degrees. Serve warm with butter.

*I added a bit more flour as I was kneading because I found the dough very sticky and hard to work with.

I do not know the exact source of this recipe. I grow rosemary in my garden, so I was looking for a rosemary bread recipe and this is one I found.

1 comment:

  1. These were really good - warmed it in the microwave and used it as a 'bun' with ham....yummm. I was lucky to try these when they were fresh - thanks Dareth!

    ReplyDelete