Thursday, February 25, 2010

Mediterranean Quiche

1 refrigerated pie crust
5 eggs
1/2 c. milk
3/4 c. diced Italian tomatoes
3/4 c. frozen chopped spinach
1/4 c. feta cheese
1/2 t. onion powder
1/2 t. garlic powder

*Other than the pie crust and the eggs everything else is pure estimates. I was just dumping stuff in a bowl and mixing.

Unroll the pie crust and press into pie plate (I don't have glass one, so I used a metal one). Following the directions for pressing it into the pan and fluting the edges as given on the package. Place a double layer of aluminum foil into the pie crust so that it covers the crust and the edges. Bake at 450 for 12 minutes. While it is baking, mix together the remaining ingredients. When pie crust is done, remove foil and pour egg mixture into crust. Bake at 325 for 30-40 minutes or until knife comes out clean when stuck in the middle.

This is actually a recipe I came up with on my own. Whenever I do this my husband always gets a worried look on his face ( I really can't blame him). Our cupboards, refrigerator, and freezer are in desperate need of restocking. Tonight for dinner I scrounged up some things and made my first quiche...or at least I think that's what you would call it. As I was eating tonight I was thinking of other combinations of things I could substitute for the spinach, feta, and tomatoes. The possibilities are endless. I was also thinking that you could easily make this crustless and probably with egg substitute, therefore making it healthier since both the pie crust and the eggs add a lot of fat to this dish.

No comments:

Post a Comment